The gorge tour through the wild and romantic Dragon Gorge and the unspoilt rock formations of the Landgrafenschlucht (Landgrave Gorge) is one of the most beautiful hikes of all.
Starting from the Mariental, which can be reached on foot or by public transport, the hike leads through the mossy rocks of the Dragon Gorge - the rushing Marienbach directly below the grating.
Arrived at the "Hohe Sonne" (snack bar Hohe Sonne (barbecue) on the Rennsteig, you can enjoy a Thuringian bratwurst on the grill and enjoy the view of the Wartburg. Continuing along the Weinstraße (Wine Route), you will reach the Großer Drachenstein (Big Dragron’s Stone), from where you will enjoy a beautiful view of the Hörselberge and the Inselsberg. The way back through the impressive Landgrafenschlucht leads to the starting point in Mariental near Eisenach.
ATTENTION: The Mariental is a popular excursion destination, especially on weekends many day trippers visit the region. Please do NOT park your car along the busy main road when the car parks are full. It is therefore recommended to travel by public transport. More information about the departure times can be found under Arrival.
DOWNLOADS and LINKS:
Eisenach Hike through another gorge near Eisenach: Circular hike - "Through the romantic Johannistal" near Eisenach
Rest StopHohe Sonne site
Eisenacher Ausflugsgaststätte und Wandertreff "Phantasie"
Safety informationWhen walking on the clamp, pay attention to slippery and slippery areas. The watercourse of the stream is partly located directly under the hiking trail. In the case of ice and snow there is limited accessibility.Please be considerate and quiet in the forest to protect the flora and fauna. Follow the instructions of the forest staff and pay attention to restrictions caused by forest work.
Tips and hintsShort YouTube about the haiking trail Rennsteig with beautiful pictures of the Dragon Gorge
Getting thereComing from the Motorway A4 take exit 40a (Eisenach-Ost). Then continue on the National Road B84 in the direction of Eisenach until the junction "Eisenach-Oststadt". Continue straight ahead on National Road B19 to the railway station and then south through the city. Follow National Road B19 in the direction of Wilhelmstahl / Etterwinden and Bad Salzungen. Follow the road for about 4 km until "Hohe Sonne".
ATTENTION: The Mariental is a popular destination for day trips, especially on weekends many day trippers visit the region. Please do NOT park along the busy main road when the parking spots are full. We reccomend the to use the local public transport.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
Equipmentsturdy shoes, rainwear
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.