Presumably, the name of the mountain goes back to the rare capercaillie, which used to proudly strut the woods around here. To the Weimar Court hunting on these premises, it was a popular trophy.
Starting at the car park at the Ilmenau Festival Hall, there is only a slight ascent until Steinbach valley, becoming steeper to Kleiner Hermannstein, a rock towering inmidst the forest. So a short break at Sophia's Spring is very welcome. This stone-enclosed spring is named honoring the Grand Duchess of Weimar.
After reaching Großer Hermannstein with its viewing platform, a phantastic view opens into the Manebach valley. For the Kickelhahn summit (861 m a.s.l.), you'll allow yourself some time to discover Goethehäuschen, the historic hunting facility and the Kickelhahn Tower.
Did you know?
With the first stone laying in 1854, the Kickelhahn Tower is among the oldest look-outs in Germany!
Upon descent, a visit to the Jagdhaus Gabelbach museum as well as the memorial to the author Joseph Victor von Scheffel is recommended.
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
- Sturdy shoes
- First aid kit
- GPS navigation device / smartphone
- possibly trekking poles
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.