A special feature are coal seams from tropical moorland forests that developed north of the former equator.
Hobby scientists – this is for you! This is about prehistoric findings, highly interesting geological ground openings and coal mining sites. This 6,5 km trail around Manebach offers spectacular insights into the history of earth and life.
Early Dinosaurs and Horsetail
Fossils can open unique windows into the earth's history. Manebach seems to be a special place: Scientists have dug out 300 mill. years old roots of a giant horsetail. Among the findings, there is also a skeleton of an early dinosauer – about 1,5 m in size.
Along your way, you encounter witnesses of historic coal mining: Karl August Shaft, Sophia's Shaft, Goldhelmer Shaft, Kammerberg Shaft and Andreas Shaft with tip.
- The Kammerberg Shaft, which Goethe drove into when being Minister for Mining in 1776, was especially valuable for his scientific studies: Until his death, he received plant fossiles from this shaft to add to his collection.
The variety of prehistoric findings is unique, too: Whether deposits of fish scales or fossilised horsetail – paleontologists still dig out the most astonishing things. On your walk, you'll be informed about all this on 25 information displays along the nature trail.
Safety informationIt is only partially accessible in winter !
Tips and hints
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
- Trekking backpack
- sturdy shoes
- functional and durable clothing
Basic Equipment for Nature Trails
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Comfortable clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.